This BIOS update is for the WinBook XL ONLY. Use of this BIOS
Update on any other computer WILL PERMANENTLY DAMAGE THE COMPUTER.
If you are not sure about using this BIOS update, contact WinBook
Technical Support at 1-800-468-1225. Date: 2/10/00
- After downloading the XL BIOS Update file for your computer,
place a blank diskette in drive A: and Double click on the "My
Computer" icon. Click on the 3 1/2" floppy once to highlight.
Click on the "File" menu and select "Format."
Set the "Format type" to "Full" and under
the "Other Options" section, select the option to "Copy
system files." Click on the "Start" button
to create the bootable disk.
- Click on the "Start" button, Click on "Find",
and then select the option to "Files or Folders." Type
in the name of the file downloaded, and click on the "Find
Now" button. Once the file is located, double click on the
file to extract it to the boot diskette that you created in Step
- Click on the "Start" button, click on "Shut Down",
and then select the option to "Shut Down the Computer"
and click on "OK."
- With the BIOS boot disk still in the machine, turn the computer
back on again.
- **Note: Do the following steps only if you do NOT have any partitions
on your hard drive (blank or brand new Hard Drive). If you are
just simply updating the BIOS, then you can skip the next three
- When the computer restarts, you may see a message that a Suspend
to Disk Partition could not be found. This is normal at this point
in the update.
- When you have the A:> prompt, type HDPREP and press Enter. This
will start the Suspend to Disk Utility program. This will reestablish
your Suspend to Disk Partition on your hard drive.
- After the HDPREP program has finished, restart your computer.
- When the computer restarts and you see the A:> prompt, type
"F" and press Enter. This will start the program to
upgrade your System BIOS.
- When the procedure is completed, the computer will restart and
the following message will appear:
CMOS Setting Wrong
Press F1 to Run Setup
Press the F1 key. This will take you to the BIOS Setup Menu. Remove
the floppy disk from your floppy drive. Next press the F10 key
to save and exit. When asked if you want to save press "Y"
for Yes and then press the "Enter" key. (The update
program will set the BIOS setting to factory default) If you had
customized the BIOS settings prior to this update, you will need
to customize the setting once again. You computer will now restart